Sunday 17 March 2013

How Dramas Kill Me

I'm going to try and update this thing more frequently. Since I'm haven't finished reading my current book (the Fountainhead for anyone wondering... hopefully a review will be up soon), I'm going to update another little rant/insight into my life. The last one was quite fun to write, so hopefully this will be the same.

So. Dramas.

...

I can't really say that I'm addicted to dramas but...

...

... I'm pretty much addicted to dramas.


It's not like I watch a lot of dramas. It's more like once I start, I can't stop. Like. CANNOT. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE. TEAR ME AWAY FROM THAT SCREEN AND I WILL TEAR YOUR ORGANS OUT THEN PROCEED TO TEAR MINE OUT BECAUSE I'VE BEEN AWAY FROM THE DRAMA FOR TOO LONG.


It's not just the addiction part that's a problem though; There's the emotional PAIN that comes with it. While I'm watching a drama, I am living and breathing that drama. There's no conscious thought to do this. It just happens.

If, by some random stroke of luck, I'm actually successfully taken away from the drama, I calm down after a few days. Then rational thought strikes and I realize I need to stay the hell away. This results in many unfinished dramas.

It's hard though. I think the drama-addiction genes might run in the family (only the female side though, because neither my dad or granddad seems to have a problem... although my granddad does have a major addiction to watching soccer games so maybe that's the same thing... going on a tangent again sorry). It's like an alcoholic trying to quit, but his roommate has a party with as much booze as you could want.


Why are you tempting me... why... don't do it... OK FINE I'LL WATCH ANOTHER ONE.

And so the cycle starts.

STEP #1: Pledging to stay emotionless.
I always start out with this step, convinced stern self-control can overcome the emotional monster that are dramas.
Ha. Who am I kidding.

STEP #2: Breaking my pledge within two minutes.
Does this even need an explanation? I take sides very very quickly. Then as soon as they introduce some extra pathos... bam. Emotional wreck.

STEP #3: Ranting begins.
I have made up my opinion on which people I like and which I don't by now (and it's not always the hero or heroine of the drama... in fact I more often than not despise the hero/heroine). Anything that's said and done now will be taken subjectively and will be ranted about thoroughly. By this step, I'm pausing the drama (if I'm watching on a computer... if I'm watching on the TV I just scream in frustration and keep watching) every few minutes just so all the feelings do not explode within me.

--- if I give up the drama, it's usually at this point. I get emotionally invested way too easily, so I stop when I feel as if I actually might die if something in particular happens ---

--- This is also the point where I might read spoilers to calm myself down ---

STEP #4: Crying my eyes out and blubbering incoherently.
I'm not just watching the drama anymore. I AM the drama.


STEP #5: Finishing the drama, and curling up in a fetal position for the next few days.
If anyone ever wanted to take me, it's pretty simple. No need for chloroform or any of that fancy stuff. Just pick a random drama, force me to watch it, and I'm done. Totally and completely incapacitated.

With dramas, all my emotions are at extremes. Extreme anger. Extreme sorrow. Extreme any-other-feeling-depending-on-the-drama.

The strangest thing is, it seems to only happen with dramas. I can watch animes fine (fine = only occasionally crying my eyes out or stabbing something). I guess that's a good thing, because at least I can still be addicted to anime without the added emotional pain.

I guess I must live with the curse of being too emotional. Sigh.


1 comment:

What do you think? I want to know!